One of the milestones a baby achieves is taking their first step. It’s also a right of passage from the baby stage to the toddler years. It’s very exciting and it also marks your baby’s transition from wearing baby shoes (or no shoes) to toddler shoes. It helps to be proactive and buy some toddler shoes even before your baby starts to walk. Some baby shoe companies like Nome Kids offer T-Straps for Toddlers and Babies which a perfect for babies and toddlers and make it easier to transition when your baby starts to walk. If your baby is already wearing t-straps, when they start to walk the feeling of the shoes on their leg will already be familiar.
Besides T-Straps for Toddlers and Babies, there are various styles and types of shoes for babies and toddlers. It can get quite overwhelming deciding which type to get. A good place to start is to check what the official organizations like The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommend. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that when your kid just starts walking it’s ok to leave them barefoot at home as this will help with their feet development. But when you go out or when surfaces are likely to be uneven or with extreme temperatures then they should wear shoes to protect their tiny little feet. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) suggests following these tips when shopping for baby or toddler shoes
– The shoes should be lightweight and flexible to support natural foot movement.
– The shoes should be made of leather or mesh to allow your baby’s feet to breathe comfortably.
– The shoes should have rubber soles for traction to prevent slipping or sliding.
Based on these guidelines, you should be on the lookout for the following criteria:
- Shoes made with high-quality leather or rubber soled shoes, are flexible and support healthy foot development. Also, T-Straps for Toddlers and Babies that are adjustable, durable and flexible. Both pre-walking and walking baby shoes should be flexible and made of breathable material. You should be able to feel baby’s toes through them.
- Flexible nonslip soles: You should be able to bend the toe of the shoe up about 40 degrees easily. Look for a shoe with good traction to help keep baby on her feet.
- Nonskid leather or rubber soles: especially those with grooves or bumps, will keep baby from slipping as she becomes more proficient at walking — yet it won’t be so ground-gripping that it’s hard to lift her feet. Even dress shoes should have good traction.
- Padding: Baby walking shoes should offer firm support but be padded on the heel backs and around the ankles to minimize rubbing, and on the bottom inside for comfort.
- Extra secure closures: Whether they’re fastened with laces, Velcro or snaps, be sure baby’s walking shoes are easy for you to get on baby’s feet, but not so easy that they come loose on their own, especially once she starts walking. In other words, no slip-on shoes — which, though they might be easy-on, are easy-off, too.
Types of baby shoes
When talking buying baby shoes, it’s best to first decide which ones you want to get i.e are they going to be pre-walking or walking shoes. After you’ve made this decision then you can start to explore the different types of shoes available
Slip-on Shoes or Booties:
Slip on shoes are particularly great for newborns. Both slip-on shoes and booties are ideal for those tiny precious feet. Because of the convenience of slip-on shoes for babies, you will find that these shoes, as well as booties, will make your life easier as a parent. If you are a new parent, you will be particularly grateful for the ease in which they come on and off. Booties and slip on shoes will not only look great on your baby, but they will also keep your newborn’s feet warm and cozy.
Soft Leather Shoes:
Another great shoe type ideal for both newborns and toddlers, that your baby should have in his or her wardrobe is leather baby shoes. Typically leather baby shoes are available in both soft and hard sole versions depending on your child’s motor skills as well as the style of shoe. For instance, shoes for younger children will likely be soft sole baby shoes where shoes for older children, or those that are more formal in style, will have harder soles.
Boots for Babies:
Every baby boy and girl should have boots, as well as their other shoes. Baby boots will not only be a great fashion statement but they will also keep your child’s feet warm, a necessity in the cold. Baby boots are available in a wide variety of styles, so you should be able to find the perfect boots for your bundle of joy. They are also great for the autumn and winter months as they keep feet warm and are great for walking on snow or a pile of leaves.
Because you never know when a formal occasion will arise, it is a good idea to also have at least one pair of dressy shoes for your baby as well. Dressy shoes for little boys and girls are usually of the hard sole variety, but you can certainly find booties and other soft sole baby shoes that can meet the needs of a formal or dressy occasion as well. They are great for Sunday church or Easter or a wedding or the fancy dinner you are hosting.
This type of shoes are particularly important for toddlers to have.
Skidproof shoes for toddlers are ideal as your child learns to walk and move around. With a non-skid bottom, you can feel confident knowing that your child will be able to stay on their feet as they explore their world for the first time. They help protect against slipping and falling when they run around or even when they are brave enough to get off the stroller and walk on the sidewalk, you’ll rest assured they won’t slip and fall easily.